Tick-Borne Diseases Are On The Rise
Amid warming weather, a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns of a surge in tick-borne diseases. We’ll talk about what you can do to prevent them.
More cases in the US (2004-2016)
- The number of reported cases of disease from mosquito, tick, and flea bites has more than tripled.
- More than 640,000 cases of these diseases were reported from 2004 to 2016.
- Disease cases from ticks have doubled.
- Mosquito-borne disease epidemics happen more frequently.
More germs (2004-2016)
- Chikungunya and Zika viruses caused outbreaks in the US for the first time.
- Seven new tickborne germs can infect people in the US.
More people at risk
- Commerce moves mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas around the world.
- Infected travelers can introduce and spread germs across the world.
- Mosquitoes and ticks move germs into new areas of the US, causing more people to be at…
View original post 1,158 more words